Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Uneeded Force Competitions

I now work at a sports bar, which I love. I love the human interactions that it comes with, and getting the opportunity to work with people of a wide variety of backgrounds and personalities is fascinating, and a fantastic life-experience. I honestly think that this experience will do better for me in understanding of the working world than any I have had thus far in my life.
At work on Saturday night, we had a UFC fight night. We payed for the ability to play the fight on our televisions, and geared up for a crazy night. Crazy we got. We had every table packed multiple times across the night. What began as a regular Saturday night crowd quickly turned into one giant group, no one leaving their seat, all staying for what seemed like the duration of the evening. This was, again, a great experience for me, as I got to work under a whole new set of conditions that I had never experienced before.
Then the fight began. I had never watched a UFC fight. I had only heard or read the end result on ESPN.com the day after. Wow. What an eye opener. The fact that thousands of people were paying to watch two grown men beat the living snot out of one another was not a little disturbing.
I found the entire fight to be somewhat sickening. The way that the two fighters were going at it was a whole new form of cruelty. It looked as though there were no rules to the match, and I'm sure there were few, if any at all. The pure brutality of the fighting was appalling in the society in which the media is now creating, because it seems so often as though we are being cushioned and sheltered from some of the nasty things in the world.
I also believe that the fight was very contradictory to the moral standards that we are striving for as a society. I would like to believe that we are striving to better ourselves with the actions we pursue, and this form of entertainment does not jive well with it. We need to ensure that our actions and our words are coinciding, and, when we take such pleasure in seeing this kind of violence, we are not doing as good a job as we intend.

No comments:

Post a Comment