Thursday, September 29, 2011

Changing Perspective

I want to take the chance to wish everyone a Shana Tova, a Happy Jewish new year. Today was my first time experiencing the High Holy Days from away from home. I attended services through the Indiana University Hillel. This was a fantastic experience, mixed with a new element.

I attended the 9 a.m. Reform services and enjoyed the comfortable melodies, meaningful readings, and spiritual connection. I then decided to try something new and stayed for the second service, this time a Conservative service.

Sitting with my friends from the Judaic Studies department, I was amazed by how little I knew. Most of the Hebrew was new to me, the readings were unfamiliar, and the melodies were downright foreign. This was very awkward for me who, as someone who goes to services every week, thought I was very familiar with this stuff.

What I came to appreciate a little more was the diversity of practices, even within our own faith. It is easy to look at others and try to understand them, but it is rare that we look at our own communities and observe the differences within it. I found it meaningful to get the chance to evaluate the practice of my faith in conjunction with those who share a similar belief but a different style of practice.

I want to continue to spend this new year trying to see things from new perspectives. I want to remove myself from the routines of complacency and narrow-minded mentalities.
I want to become more appreciative and understanding of the differences that make us unique and the similarities that we have that make us strong.

May God give me the strength to learn and to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment