Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Trip 1: HUC

Over the weekend, week one of my month of adventures, I was a participant at the Hebrew Union College, Jewish Institute of Religion retreat for college students. I was able to go and experience programming alongside almost 20 other participants who were all very interested in pursuing lives of Jewish adulthood.
Throughout the weekend, there were several opportunities to get a glimpse of what Rabbinic school looks like, what is expected, and the excitement that is associated with being a leader within the Jewish clergy system. I was filled with pride knowing that most of the Rabbis that had had an influence on my Jewish education had all passed through this program.
One of the most meaningful elements of the trip was when we visited the Plum Street Synagogue, where the Rabbinic students walk up one flight of stairs to the bima, and walk down the other side as official Rabbis. The experience of seeing this beautiful, holy location really affected me, because I hope to one day make that trip.
When the trip was all said and done, I was very thankful that HUC had given me the option to participate. The experience was exceptional, because it was an opportunity for me to get together with like-minded individuals from colleges all across the country, who were interested in exploring elements of their faith, just as I was.
Additionally, the opportunity to experience the college and learn a little bit more about what it means to be a Rabbinic student made the whole thing a little more real, and a little more accessible. This also showed me just how important it is for me to continue my education, and gave me an academic goal to strive for.
Now that I am back at Indiana Unviersity, I am all the more excited to get deep into my Jewish Studies education. I have the chance to get myself off on the right foot, and I look forward to the chance to get an undergraduate education that will allow me to pursue my life goals in a beneficial and holy way.

No comments:

Post a Comment