Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Israel at home

Since the creation of this blog, the background cover art has depicted an American flag and an Israeli flag on the backdrop of Capital Hill. I thought, at the time, this was appropriate because my blog was intended to share my perspective as both an American and a Jew.

This week, I had the beautiful opportunity to travel to Israel as a delegate for Netzer Veida. It was my first experience in Israel, after having so much education and programming thrown at me on the country. I had heard so much of other’s opinions, and I was finally getting the chance to develop my own.

I experienced four different cities, many tourist attractions, holy sites, and conference rooms. I visited museums, visited museums, heard speakers, and took pictures. For ten spectacular days, I got the chance to create a very person connection with the Jewish homeland.

Now that I am home, my goal is to dissect what Israel means to me. By no means do I think the answer is fixed; I changed my view a thousand times before I even touched the holy ground. Yet it is important for me to understand what I am thinking and feeling.

I have heard all kinds of people come back from Israel trips and moan about having to live in America. They miss Israel, want to live there, want that culture. I wasn’t sure if I would have the same feelings when I came back. Now that I have been there and back, I can safely say I don’t want to live in Israel. That isn’t to say I didn’t enjoy my time there, or don’t love Israel and what it stands for. But I also very much enjoy and love the country that I currently reside in. I have an incredible degree of patriotism and love for the United States, and I cherish the opportunity to live here.

One of the best parts of Israel was having a community in which Judaism is the norm, rather than the exception. That being said, America offers me the opportunity to live a Jewish life alongside those like and unlike me. I commented on my trip that if all Jews move to Israel, we will be left with a very ignorant diaspora. I want to be a part of the education of America about what Jewish culture looks like and feels like.

Now I started this blog with a conversation about my choice in cover art. I did this because I think that photo best summarizes my view on Israel. I have a strong and deep place in my heart for both Israel and America. I feel a need to advocate on behalf of both of my countries. Yet, as I mentioned before, the backdrop is the American Capital Hill. To me, this means that my advocacy for Israel must come from my home, from America, as a form of diaspora-based Zionism.

1 comment: