Sunday, March 3, 2013

March 3: Tri Your Best


Two different events this past week happened to fall within the same time-frame. First, the Indiana University Recreational Sports Center hosted an EveryBODY week, in which attendees of the gym found sayings written on mirrors and on posters that emphasized good body image, positive thinking, and lifestyle decisions that can make happier people. There were free t-shirts available and participation opportunities for people to say what it is about themselves that they found most beautiful. Even stickers and flyers were posted on the elliptical machines to try to remind people of their inner beauty.

The second event at the SRSC was the Swimming Club’s third annual triathlon. Two different options were offered, with the longer of the two including a 600 meter swim in the pool, an 8 mile bike ride (stationary bike), and 3 miles running on the indoor track.

I participated for the second year in a row in the triathlon. Last time, I had just started the long and difficult process of getting myself in shape, and of working to reach whatever goals I set for myself. Over the course of the event, I realized just how far I had to go. I wasn’t happy with my finish, and decided that I was determined to do better next year. Well, next year arrived this morning, and better I did. I shaved almost 10 minutes off of my finish time, and finished the event in just under an hour. My swimming was just about the same as it was last year (as swimming has not been part of my routine), but my biking and running were far better. I finished the event with two feelings: satisfaction at having pursued a year-long goal and conquering it, as well as excitement for the next goal that I can set, whatever that may be, so that I can find another task to better myself.

The reason I mention these two events in tandem is that I think the first would have had a negative impact on me if I had let it. There is, unfortunately, a very fine line between self-appreciation and complacency. There is a very thin border between being satisfied and being lazy. There is no right answer for any single individual either. What may inspire one person to stop their self-abuse through anorexia may very well lead another to continue to ignore their personal health. What is particularly important is the way that those ideas of body image play in line with both the mental, and the physical behavior of an individual.

Mentally, EveryBODY week is great. I frequently struggle with obsessing over my weight, the way I feel, pushing myself to try to be better every step of the way. For someone like me, it is incredibly valuable to be told, at least sometimes, that things are ok. That I don’t need to push myself to the point of damage. Yet, on the other side of the spectrum, going to the gym should come with some form of motivation. There needs to be some kick in the pants that tells someone “let’s go. Let’s get busy. Let’s get healthy.” If, a year ago, I had taken the writing on the wall (literally, the dry erase markers on the mirrors) to heart, I would never have had the motivation to get myself to the place I am physically now, as well as the emotional high I’ve experienced through my success.

As I took the turn on the 16th lap, finishing my second mile on the track, there is a point. That point came a lot earlier last year, and next year, if I participate it could come later. But the point is when the thought flashes into your mind where you say “I could walk. I could take a break. I could let up just a little.” That voice could be really good, a way of keeping yourself from getting injured. Or it could be a way of holding you back from reaching out and beating a personal best. So listen to the voice, but don’t necessarily respond right away. Make small bench marks. “Just a little longer. Just two more laps, or four more, or eight more.” Then, when you finish, you can say you truly did your best, not that you did what you decided was enough.

So let’s go. Let’s get healthy. But let’s do it in a healthy way. Appreciating the people we are is truly wonderful, as long as it comes with the understanding that there are always ways to improve, to get stronger, and to get better. Isn’t that really our goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment