Sunday, August 4, 2013

August 4th: Applying yourself

A few short days ago, I noticed a tweet that got me thinking. Indiana University alerted its followers that the application for the class of 2018 was now active. First of all, the class of 2018 was terrifying, considering how long a way that feels. Looking back though, it reminds me of what it was like, not so long ago, to apply to schools.

I remember the hard work of high school, trying to decide what classes a college would think are most appealing. I remember cramming my schedule with as many extra-curricular as I could manage, hoping to strike the most attractive balance. I remember the college essays, trying to put together the most beautiful 500 words that I could to sum up exactly who I was and why they should want me.

What I remember most, though, was the anxiety of the application process. I remember waking up every morning, running to my computer to check if any colleges had decided that I was worthy to be a student. I remember both the excitement at getting in somewhere that fit me, and I remember being told I wasn’t good enough.

There are so few ways that a college can truly evaluate you. Every year around this time we hear a debate about whether or not the ACT and SAT standardized tests are effective barometers of the talent of a high school student. While I agree that a score on a single test is not an acceptable way of evaluating an individual and their intellect, I also appreciate the difficulty of the decision for colleges. Standardization is the only way that colleges can evaluate two students from two completely different backgrounds and upbringings and see how they compare. When you can accept a finite number of applicants, there need to be different standards for admittance. While it isn't pretty, it is absolutely necessary.

That being said, the tests are not nearly enough to gain an understanding of a well-rounded, holistic individual, the likes of which a university wants. The most undervalued part of the application process is the extra-curricular end of things. That is where you best see what kind of person student might be.  A student who is an all-state athlete demonstrates a passion and commitment that, while exemplified on a sports field, seems indicative of determination overall. A teen who has put in thousands of man-hours to a club or organization that they care enough about should be looked at more favorably because of that dedication.


All of that taken into account, it need not be said that the college process is a little out of whack. The stress and pressure that all high school seniors feel is, while a rite of passage, is one that can cause an individual to lose faith in himself or herself. While getting into college is an important moment in the life-cycle process, it cannot be forced. As someone with plenty of experience in that department, it is important to keep in mind that there is a good college opportunity out there for everyone. And while it may be herd, patience can go a long way toward making the decision-making process far less stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment