Sunday, November 17, 2013

Nov. 17: Double Coverage

Since 2010, my blog, the Zoot Perspective, has been not only a posting site, but also a classroom. I have been able to work on my ability to write, to explore different topics that are important to me, and to navigate my ability to create a logical argument. Throughout those 4 years, I have gone through streaks of intense posting, periods of lackluster performance, and times when I needed to be pushed for my best work. Now comes an opportunity to take my blogging and my communications skills to a whole new level.

As a telecommunications major, I have had the opportunity to learn how media impacts our lives, and the ways in which we choose to interact with those media. I am prepared to revamp the Zoot Perspective in two unique and equally important ways.

First of all, the growth of Twitter has driven me to expand my blogging to the world of micro-blogging. Many of my readers also follow my personal twitter account, but as of today, there will now be a specific account meant for the Zoot Perspective. By following @ZootPerspective , you will have the opportunity to catch not only the publicity for my content, but also updates on my thought process and often times my inspiration. This will allow me to have access to smaller, more frequent posts throughout the week, not just one large post at a time.

One of the most important points of discussion in the world of telecommunications right now is the notion of audience segmentation. It is quite popular, for example, for television shows and movies to think long and hard about their target audience, and work hard to ensure that the content they are providing is tailored to that group. I believe that audience analysis and targeting is important, which is why, as of today, my blog will be splitting into two. While I will continue to write a weekly piece for the Zoot Perspective, I am starting a new blog specifically catered to my sports following.

My writing originated, in many ways, as the Sports Editor of my high school newspaper. In fact, the very first blog I attempted was a blog analyzing the Chicago Cubs (I only made it to one post. If my ninth grade self could see me now.)  It was that passion for sports writing that has so often been the inspiration for pieces throughout my years on the Zoot Perspective. I have come to realize, though, that I seemed to have developed two audiences. One audience wants to read my content about the sporting world, while the other wants only to view my social analysis and criticism pieces. That being said, I am making the concerted effort to keep up with both.

The title of the new blog is “The Left Fielder.” The name comes from the popular notion that things that surprise us come from “out of left field.” I want to have my sports blog focus on the elements of sports that make us feel, that make us think. Those pieces are what make sports so important to our everyday lives, and make them so transcendent in our culture. That being said, I, as the Left Fielder, want to be able to field the issues that come up, and shed light onto those cases in sports that elicit the most intense feelings and reactions. “The Left Fielder” will also have its own twitter account, @ZPLeftFielder. This twitter account will focus on both reposting important sports news pieces as well as commenting on them.

I have to admit that I am learning. There may be bumps in the road. It will take me time to find a balance between the two media outlets, and the ways in which I interact with each of them. But it is in that pursuit that my education continues. I’m going to learn how to balance two different accounts. I’m going to learn what should be posted from @ZootPerspective and what should be from my personal account. I’m going to learn what are the important issues that need to be shared on more than one platform, and those that don’t need sharing at all. I mentioned in a blog post from earlier this year that this blog is about my learning, my growing. I want my audience to grow with me as I develop my understanding of social media and the way they impact our lives. I want to learn how to build the ZP Media Conglomerate to become a comprehensive and meaningful source for my readers.

Here is the link to the first post from the ZP: http://zpleftfielder.blogspot.com/2013/11/opening-drive.html  Left Fielder. Read, enjoy, and feel free to comment with your feedback.


So let’s play ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment