Saturday, January 23, 2010

14-11+1=newspaper?

As of 4th period last Tuesday there were only 4 people remaining on the newspaper staff at my school. We had gone from 14 to 4 in what seemed like overnight. The funniest part (though no one was laughing) was that we had actually gained a member.

Why had everyone quit? Why was it now three remaining staff members, plus a girl on her first day? Because the school that we were attempting to deliver the news to was just too stressful for them to handle. They couldn't take the interaction with an administration that they felt was abusing them. They couldn't work with the "unreasonable" expectations that were being put on them to put out a paper that "everyone" could be happy with.

I am not going to comment on what the administration has done, or on whether it was legal or ethical. You can go the Chicago Tribune or Fox News for that information. What I am going to comment on is what it is like to be the last man standing (I am the only male left on staff).

Since my first day in Journalistic Writing, my love of journalism has been fostered. I owe Barb Thill a great deal of thanks for inspiring me journalistically and teaching me how to report the news in a fair and balanced way.

Then, after 1 year of training classes to get onto the newspaper staff, the group as everyone knew it went down the tubes with the publication of the hooking-up article. This article was not only newsworthy because of what we covered, but also the way we covered it.

One year after the hooking-up article ran, nobody is left. The students who spent countless hours posting comments on facebook, speaking at school board meetings, and busting their asses to fight for what they believed was right are all gone.

I can empathize with their decision to quit the newspaper staff. Over the past few months, the act of being on this staff has been stressful and trying time. I also understand that many of the staff members believed their quitting was an act of defiance, a strike back against the administration to make a statement.

What I have no care, empathy, or patience for is the question that I have been asked, now way too many times. That question is "Why are you still there, Austin? Are you really dumb enough to think you can change anything?"

This question has come from a few staff members, but mostly from members of the community. The question is, frankly, incredibly insulting. No, I am not dumb enough to think my staying on staff can change the policy of the administration toward the paper. No, I am not dumb enough to think I can make bold acts to rejuvenating the vitality of the newspaper that I love with only 4 people to work with. What I am "dumb" enough to do is to attempt to do what I love. That is to write. I am "dumb" enough to not allow myself to be bullied, both by administration wanting to pick and choose what I write, and by my peers to decide if I should or should not be on the newspaper staff. And I am "dumb" enough to believe that I can put out a newspaper.

The paper that I plan to put out with the remaining members will not be a 16 page prize winner. It will however be the best work I can do. I intend to write the same caliber stories I was writing before. I intend to lay out pages, take photos, and pick up the slack left by those no longer with us. And, most importantly, I intend to prove wrong all of the people who say I can not do the things I have mentioned above. I intend to prove that we, as a 4-person staff, CAN put together a product that we can all be proud of.

To the staff members who decided to quit: I hold no hard feelings. I appreciate how tough the decision was for you, and I am proud to have been able to call you my co-workers.

To Soo, Kelly, and Hayley: It is up to us to continue this newspaper. We can do it. I know we can. I have faith in you. (No pressure :)

To Ms. Lukens and Mr. Lockowitz: I look forward to continuing to work with you to do what is best for our staff and our community.

And to those who think I can't do it: Prepare to be proven wrong.

BSVA

AZ

2 comments:

  1. one of my favorite one's so far. Truly motivating and also insightful. Way to stick with something you love.

    But your wrong. You can change things. You have not only the power off the pen with the newspaper but you also have the power of yourself (wow so horribly awakward of a sentence, edit this one for me mr. newspaperman) but you have already changed things by not quiting. You've changed the perspective people have had on those quiting, the perspective of those on the people that haven't quit.

    Most importnatly though, is that you didn't change anything about yourself. You didn't let the admnistration take away something you loved.

    Way to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Austin.. thats intense. I am thoroughly impressed by your taking a stance you so strongly believe in.

    ReplyDelete