Sunday, January 10, 2010

Thank you Garth Brooks

Though country music may get a bad reputation as being slightly more "backroad" than some may find enjoyable, one of the assets that makes it appealing to me are the stories that are told, and, most notably, the truely insightful quotes that come from these stories.

One perfect example of the insight that is available from country music is a song by Garth Brooks, a song titled "Unanswered Prayers." This song tells of a man who sees an ex-grilfriend at a football game and introduces her to his current wife. In looking back, the man realizes that, at the time of the relationship, he had thought he wanted to spend the rest of his life with this woman, and was remarking at what his life would have been like if that 'prayer' had actually come true.

As a highschool student, prayers are often very shortsighted. Not that everything a teenager prays for is not valuable or worldly, but as a general rule, prayers from younger minds are more focused on personal, right now kind of prayers. That being said, when these prayers don't come true, all too often people are easily driven to say "God must not be listening because I didn't get what I prayed for."

This brings up another great quote from this song. "Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers." Although not as feministic as reform Judaism may tend to promote, this song verse does the job to explain what it is that I'm trying to say.

When I pray for an A on the final that I take tomorrow, that might not be what happens. If I get that final back as a D, though it will displease me, it does not mean that God has ignored me, or has completely laughed at my pain. This could be God's way of showing me that what I think is best, may not always be. "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundations? Speak if you have understanding." (page 61 Mishkan T'Filah) This quote, taken from the prayerbook used by my congregation, demonstrates the fact that, who am I to ask questions of God? Who am I, in my little understanding to disagree with what is right, to claim insight when I am, in fact, blind to many of the things going on around me.

So when you pray that the girl you have a crush on will accept your asking her out, if it doesn't pan out that way, don't blame God for neglagence. Maybe this was all in another of God's plans. You may not know it, but the girl of your dreams may be just around the corner.

BSVA

AZ

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this to be very interesting, and very true. As i reflect as to what my prayers have been about lately, it brings up an interesting perspective. And although i disagree with your taste for country music, i do enjoy the perspective it has given you. Please make more of these.

    However, after reading your first shot post, why limit yourself to one post a week. If you have a though on something share it with the world. You have a truly inspirational voice don't hold it back. I would love to see 104 posts.

    ReplyDelete