Sunday, February 7, 2010

Severe Injustice

The community in which we live is under attack. Attack from a serious issue, one that could cause serious detriment to our society as we know it. This problem is so intense, so severe, that it is driving people to do the unthinkable.

The injustice occurred just a few blocks away from my house, where I am currently typing. It was a Sunday morning, as I was driving home from teaching Sunday school. As I drove past the marquee for the Buffalo Grove theatre, I tried to see what movies were playing that week. The BG theatre shows second run movies at a ridiculously low cost. It was then, however, that I realized what was wrong. In the upper left corner of the sign, there was something different. Where it usually said $2 admission, it now read $5. This was horrifying. $5 for a second run movie? I think not!

The theatre has never been a pretty one. It is dingy, dark, and a little gross. The screens are small, and the bathrooms are unrivaled (not in a good way). I refuse to pay $5 to go to a movie theatre that isn't even a good one, to see movies months after they come out, when I could see them on the first run for just $2 more, in the comfort of a nice, soft chair.

The injustice is that I now have lost something very close to my heart. As a teenager, money is not always easy to come by in large quantities. It is often difficult to choose between going out with friends to a movie or buying dinner. With the BG theatre, I was able to do both. The inexpensive ticket allowed me to have my cake and eat it too, even in a somewhat less than satisfactory location.

Now I have lost that one place where I can spend my time, without spending a large sum of money. There is no place for a financially frugal teenager anymore. They have taken away our headquarters, our sanctuary.

Now where am I going to watch Legion?

No comments:

Post a Comment