Monday, February 15, 2010

Why didn't God post it on my Facebook?

I was supposed to be in Dallas this weekend. I was supposed to spend the weekend with friends from all over North America. I was supposed to elect the new leaders of my Jewish youth group.

None of these things got to happen howevever. On Thursday night, I found out that my flight was cancelled, do to snow, rain, and ice storms all across Texas. I was told by American Airlines that I would not be able to arrive in Texas until Saturday night, leaving me only 36 hours to be with my youth group, the people who I love more than anyone else. With some decision making by my parents and some introspection, it was decided that I would not pay almost $700 for 36 hours, and that instead I would stay home. As much as this decision was logical, it was most definitely not enjoyable, or an easy one to make.

Over the course of the weekend, I have considered why I didn't go to this event. I understand that nature caused the trip to be too trecherous, but why? Was God trying to tell me something?

My mother said many times that there were signs at play here. Maybe this was a sign of a bigger lesson or reasoning. God was trying to tell me something.

I questioned also if there were some hidden things I didn't know about the trip. Maybe if I would have gone, the airplane I was on would have crashed. Maybe I would have accidentally prevented someone being elected who would have been amazing at their job? Maybe I would have had an amazing weekend with a home friend if I had stayed (which I did)?

It is a giant mystery. I wish God was more clear, but who am I to question where God makes decisions? Who am I to even assume it is God who caused such a natural backlash? Who am I to decide what is and isn't good for me on a mystical level?

I have no answer for many of the questions I have posed tonight. All I know is that I attempted to make the best of a horrible situation, having as great a weekend as one could have without NFTY, and that I miss NFTY very much.

And I learned that sometimes it is ok to not know all the answers. Sometimes, someone is looking out for you, and you may never even know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment