Monday, March 29, 2010

And the Youth Shall See visions

I just got back from the opportunity of a lifetime. This past weekend, I received the opportunity to participate in NFTY (my youth group)'s Junior Youth Group Kallah (JYG). This event was for all 7th and 8th graders interested in a taste of NFTY. I was given the chance to act as a liaison to the Senior Youth Group, leading programing and services to give the participants the chance to experience what it is that I, and so many other Jewish teens, love so much.

Over the course of the weekend, I got to know many of the kids and got the chance to foster relationships with them. Some were already excited about joining NFTY and wanted to get started already, some were just there to get a taste and trial run of the organization. Either way, I was very touched by the experience that I had.

Right now, I serve as the Religious and Cultural Vice President. But next year, I may be something different. And the year after that, I will graduate and move on to another position in life. Every year, changes will occur, sending me to new, uncharted territory. But in my place, there will be young, excited people to take up my work, doing some of the same things I did, while other things differently.

At the event this weekend, there most likely was a future Religious and Cultural Vice President. There may have been a future Membership Vice President. There may have been a future President. The possibilities for this generation are endless, just as mine were, and still are.

It may seem a little strange that a high school junior is talking about "the youth" as if it were a different body from himself. I will admit, I am still very much a part of it. I have a very bright future ahead of me if I make it that way, and am excited to reach new heights in my life. But at this stage of the game, I find it interesting to stand back and look in both directions. In front of me is my own expansive future. Behind me, however, is a list of accomplishments, experiences, and feelings that have come and gone, and I am waiting for the next set of people to come and take up where I left off.

As a very insightful Rabbi told us this weekend, King Solomon once received a ring that could make those who are happy sad, and those who are sad happy. This ring was said to be magical. The ring itself was simple silver, with three letters written on it. These letters were Gimmel, Zayin, Yud, the first letters of גם זה יעבור‎, gam zeh yaavor, which means this too shall pass. The symbolism is that no matter what is happening, good or bad, it will always change, move on, end in some way. My time as an RCVP may be coming to an end, but someone new will take my place. And when I am done in NFTY, something new will come up that will be just as exciting, just as thrilling, just as meaningful. I just don't know what that will be yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment