Sunday, May 16, 2010

Guitar Hero

Rick Recht is one of the most prestigious singer/songwriters in Jewish contemporary rock music today. He has created dozens of songs to prayers, hymns, and ideals that are sung in congregations all over America, and even globally.

Today, I got the opportunity to play with him in a concert he gave at Temple Beth-El. This was, simply, one of the most meaningful musical experiences of my life.

Let's start with some back story. When I was about 10 years old, I heard that, at my temple, a young performer was coming to sing for us. It sounded like fun, so I went to temple early to get a close seat. It turned out it didn't matter, because Rick called us all up onto the lower stage to be closer to him and to the music. From that first song on, I was in love with his music, and I wanted so badly to be able to create it.

I began to pick up a guitar that my dad had purchased, and never got good. It sucked. It was hard, I couldn't get the notes to sound right, and I wasn't making the songs I had in my head.

I saw Rick a few more times, and every time he would tell me that I should play with him. I always politely came up with some reason to say no. The real reason was that I stunk. I never had the guts to practice hard enough to get any good.

Well, through some hard work and forced practice, I began to get better. I only really started working hard a year ago, when I was elected to my youth group position in which I felt obligated to be able to play songs and prayers that I was leading.

After a year of practicing, I was again presented with the opportunity to play with Rick, this time in front of all of my youth group friends. I decided to take the chance, and play. It was, in simple terms, amazing.

Now lets be realistic. I still didn't know how to play almost any of his songs, and definitely not well. But it didn't matter. Songleading is only about 10% guitar. Its really 90% excitement and enthusiasm. I sang my heart out on every song, played what chords I knew, and faked what I didn't, and bounced and smiled to the music. To hear that I was leading a group in song, no matter what notes I was playing on the guitar, was incredible. It was amazing to be able to be part of a community and create something with the person that inspired me to pick up Jewish music in the first place. I am forever grateful to Rick for inspiring in me that excitement. Now, it is my job to pass it on to the next Jewish musician.

1 comment: