Monday, April 18, 2011

April 18 (NFTY part 1)

I had to say goodbye to my best friends yesterday. After four years of friendship, I had to walk away from the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Yesterday was my last day in NFTY-CAR. I, as a graduating senior, got my chance to walk around the senior circle and talk about how much NFTY as meant to me. I had both a thousand words to say, and yet was, and still am, speechless.

I wanted to take the time to debrief for myself. Eight grade KOLBO was the beginning. My first event was not the stereotypical bad first event. I actually had a lot of fun. I read Torah, which was an exciting chance to get immediately involved in the religious and cultural end of NFTY. Once the event was over, I felt good about NFTY, but not head over heels.

Now comes the regret. I didn't go to Summer Kallah or Kickoff my freshmen year. This, now, in retrospect, was a massive mistake on my part. I should have gone to accelerate my love of NFTY. I guess it doesn't really matter, because I got to go to 26 events, but I still wish I had gotten more involved more quickly.

For the next year, from one Winter Kallah to the next, I went and had fun. I liked the feeling of community that I had when I was there. I liked the friendships I was making.

I decided in the early days of 2009 that I wanted to go to Convention. It would be my first North American event, and I wanted to take my involvement to another level.

I look at my first Convention as the moment when I went from liking NFTY to the deep love that has consumed me for years. I had friends who were seniors, which, as a sophomore was pretty cool. I was actively getting involved in the politics of the event, and took a close look at the possibility of running for my own regional board.

At KOLBO 2009, I ran. I put myself out there in NFTY and began my love affair with the position of Religious and Cultural Vice President. During elections, I gave a speech that involved participation by the audience. Many still remember "Why Austin?" and some see that as the reason I was elected. It was definitely the first time I felt that I was a good speaker.

More is to come tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment