Monday, September 30, 2013

September 30: Once Upon a Time

When I was younger, my dad told me about business. He told me a lot of things, but the one that stuck with me the most is that everyone is selling something. Some people are selling physical items, some are selling services. The one that really got my attention, though, were the people who were selling what my father called “hopes and dreams.” These are your teachers, your politicians, your artists. These are the people who choose to sell the idea that life can be better, and that these individuals can provide a key ingredient.

Ever since this conversation, I’ve been thinking about what I’m selling. Having worked in both retail and food service, I have experience selling physical items and services. My career goals, though, have always been in the hopes and dreams department.

One such profession got me thinking. I was watching “The Newsroom,” a show written by Aaron Sorkin, who was also behind my favorite TV show, “The West Wing.” Sorkin is famous for his workplace dramas, where he takes viewers on a journey to understand a particular life for a certain group of people. Focusing on how the political landscape impacts the people, the real human beings in the White House, was what made “The West Wing” as brilliant a show as it was. This only continued in “The Newsroom.” Sorkin’s ability to craft the emotional experience of working and living in a news television company is what makes his storytelling so incredible.

What I came to realize was that the best thing I can imagine someone selling is a story. Crafting a world and characters allows an individual to step into a new world, and to experience things from a whole new way.

We, as readers, viewers, and observers, love the emotion of a story. We know what it’s like to feel elation by the success of our favorite protagonist. We know what it’s like to cry because of a main character’s loss. We even know what it’s like to fall in love with the bad guy, not because that character was inherently loveable, but because the author took us on a journey that concluded with empathy.

I love to tell stories. My life goal is to write a novel, and I have been working on story ideas for as long as I can remember. Storytelling in all its forms has always fascinated me.  From books to speeches, movies and jokes, I enjoy both creating and observing the storytelling of others.

The best part about a story, though, is that it’s the closest thing we have to real life that isn’t. We get to feel all of the highs and all of the lows that life has to offer, while at the end of the day, we get to walk away. We get to feel all of the emotion without the forced commitment that the real world brings.


My blog was my first real experience with storytelling. The stories I have told are exclusively non-fiction, yet as a general rule they are telling a very opinionated story. I have crafted my ability to write and to tell. Learning to lead my readers on a journey is a craft that I hope to sell for as long as possible. I am selling hopes and dreams, one word at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment