Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May 20 (NFTY 6)

I couldn't have talked about my NFTY experience without talking about my board. Alyssa, Stevie and Danny, you three were amazing as juniors on board. Having these three to be there to support me was incredible. I often thought that, as juniors, it was my job to look after you and back you up. It turns out nobody had my back better. Leah, as a first year senior, was equally incredible at throwing herself into not one but two positions and doing them with grace and respect. I can only hope that I have impacted her as much as she impacted me.

Finally are those three that I mentioned earler. Jaren, Elyse, and Naomi, who I have served two years with. Elyse has been there my entire Jewish life, and I can easily see her as the president of the Congregation at which I am Rabbi. Naomi so quickly became an important part of my life. After hours on the phone and conversations sitting on the bimah, I know she will be an amazing leader for the future, as well as an amazing friend.

Last but not least there is Jaren. Jaren is the one who has grown the most. I have never seen a young, irresponsible boy turn into an honorable, dedicated man so quickly. I have spent the most time with him and can't possibly see my future without him as a friend .Although this is not true for many, Jaren is truly the type of leader who needs no title to make great change.

There have been countless people along the way who assisted and inspired me in my NFTY life. What I realized is most important, though, was that NFTY is not an event based youth organization. In reality, NFTY is an enlightened state of being. We don't have to stop being NFTYites just because we have graduated from the program. The life-lessons, experiences, and aspirations we get can continue to impact us as we proceed into our adult lives and beyond. The Jewish people has a long history of strength, passion, and love. We, as NFTYites, have been prepared to carry the torch and move Judaism into a bright future.

May it be God's will.

No comments:

Post a Comment