Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May 17 (NFTY 5)

As my final moments in NFTY came, I saw my senior circle come into view. Four times I had seen NFTY seniors walk around the circle and talk about how NFTY had changed their life. I was to be the thrid to last speaker, coming right before Beth (the regional advisor) and Naomi (my regional president).

Before I had the chance to go, I listened to four different people tell me that I had made the most significant impact on their NFTY lives. I still, exactly a month later, can't believe how much these people mean to me, and can't possibly understand the impact that I have had on them. I wanted to be their friend, and if I was anything more, I am lucky. I am so moved to have touched them in any way.

It finally became my turn to speak. I took some time to thank certain people around me. I also talked about how important the advisers were. I thought about how amazing it is that we have advisers. How many other high school kids have one adviser, let alone multiple?

My last and most important point was about how NFTY had impacted me. I told the group that I saw NFTY as life-practice. I had the opportunity to see what it would be like to be a Rabbi, what it is like to interact with congregants, and what it is like to communicate with God.

I was forced to end my senior circle address quickly because I was being pinched for time. THat is the basis for why I started to write this series (or a saga at this point). I wanted to be able to have a real conclusion to my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment