Monday, January 3, 2011

January 3rd

Back to school day really gets a bad rap. So many people dread going back after winter or spring break. I am usually one of those people. This year, though, I just couldn't bring myself to be upset. The idea of getting to go back and see all of my friends and teachers was actually a really nice break from, well, break. I had missed getting to see everyone and work hard at school. So much free time on my hands was fun, but at the same time, I was ready to get back in the swing of things and restart my routine.

My favorite part of going back to school today was Physics. I know, who ever would have thought I would like Physics. Really, when you think about it, what is there to like? It is the math of science. I can't stand either of those two subjects. But this year, and especially today, I really enjoyed toe pursuit. The chance to fight my way through a problem to get the right answer. Because the whole class is really just a metaphor for real life. We are going to have problems. We are not going to have the answers. We are going to struggle, to throw "equations" at the problem and try to solve it. Sometimes we will get it right, sometimes we will get it wrong, but overall, our teachers and peers will be there to give us advice, guidance and support, and we will, eventually, sink or swim. Today, I was able to swim in Physics. Maybe tomorrow I won't. But it sure was fun trying today.

“In physics, you don't have to go around making trouble for yourself - nature does it for you.” Frank Wilczek

No comments:

Post a Comment